Focus on what you do well, let us make the rest easy
…typically 70%–90% of acquisitions are abysmal failures.
Oh shit, I thought, what have I got myself into. It was my first week on the job and I’d just had one on ones with each of the key players.
At this point I’d been in IT for two decades and dealt with start-ups, transformation programmes, and all kinds of organisational situations. I had tackled major challenges and had a track record of success. I thought I could take on anything.
I had never experienced a situation where the smell of defeat was so pervading. I felt I had arrived too late to help.
I’d come here to make the business unit a success and grow it. This was a major strategic merger designed to be the springboard for innovation - increasing the scope of our offerings to penetrate both deeper and wider into the market.
Part of the mission was to cultivate a reputation for excellence and develop a network of top-notch ecosystem partners - across the business and externally - to build a sustainable engine of growth. We were not off to a good start. At all.
Disasters. Disarray. Despair.
The first thing I did when I arrived was reach out to everyone. To the team, to the executives, and to the leaders of other units. It was clear there was a massive disconnect, misalignment of strategies, and a collision of cultures. And then it got worse. I mean, I can handle messy situations - I have five children. But this was on a whole other level.
Systems were a nightmare: multiple sources of truth. Overlapping and sometimes contradictory processes. Delivery of key projects was by no means certain. Our reputation was in the tank. Key people were adamant they’d be walking out. Things were clearly breaking up. And there was nothing I could do to stop it.
Long story short, nailed it. Curious how?…
We’ve bundled our unique experience into a set of sure-fire tools and services to help you through your own mission impossible. Here are the ones you need when you’re in the forming stage of your journey.
- Health check your strategy to match the facts on the ground.
- Identify emerging opportunities and plan partnering approach.
- Gain a clear understanding of the pieces at play in your business.
- Merge and consolidate best practices.
- Establish processes and governance cadence.
- Get lean reporting metrics in place.
- Ensure capture of value and ready sales enablement.
- Integrate product lines into operational teams.
- Are you kidding?!
- Improve leadership model.
- Establish a formal conflict resolution process.
- Health-check your culture and baseline.
- Reset relationships and build trust.
- Build a set of shared values.
- Identify and patch your critical gaps.
- Align your structure and roles to match your strategy.
- Cross-train your talent to build resilience.
- Prioritise and unify your processes and get buy-in and ownership.
- Design and right-fit a differentiated and innovative framework.
- Identify and pursue the unique opportunities right under your nose.